After much deliberation with our Board of Directors, we have made the difficult decision to postpone the Heart of America Shakespeare Festival 2020 production of The Tempest until summer 2021.

Our immediate challenges are the uncertainty about the availability of spaces we need to create the production, guidelines regarding safe public gatherings this summer, and other logistical issues involved in successfully producing a performance. 

Given our very lean operating budget – and not knowing how the pandemic gripping our nation will affect Kansas City in June – our Board concluded the most responsible and prudent use of our limited resources is to postpone the production of the play to 2021.

By making this decision now, we can be assured that the Festival is doing its part to protect the wellbeing of our community. It also helps us reallocate resources toward planning for the 2021 season – when we will produce The Tempest. Our creative team has been hard at work planning since the fall, and we will be all the more prepared for production next summer.

At this point we are only postponing our summer production. We will offer Virtual Summer Camps and are creating programs and events to engage with our community online and also in shared spaces when we are once again able to gather in groups.

Our community of loyal supporters  have made it possible for us to thrive over many years by providing consistent donations. Your ongoing support ensures that the Heart of America Shakespeare Festival sustains the organization and ensures that we can continue to provide accessible, classical Shakespeare theatre under the stars. Please know how much we appreciate you!

Postponing this year’s Festival production was not a decision we made lightly. But we are confident, that by making this critical change now, we will be back in Southmoreland Park when it’s safe to gather.

We look forward to being back in 2021 – stronger than ever. Until then, please take care of yourselves. THANK YOU for your support!

HASF Press Release: “The Tempest” Postponement